Ready to organise a delegation to meet your local MP?
Our goal with #RightTrack is for every MP to hear a loud and consistent demand for safety, fairness and freedom for people seeking asylum.
Meeting your MP is perhaps the single most important and effective thing you can do.
MPs are sensitive to community opinion in their electorates - you are the people voting for or against them, after all! And they feed those opinions in to their party leaders too.
And you don't need to be an absolute expert on the policy details either - your job is to speak from the heart about why safety, fairness and freedom matter to you.
The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, the Refugee Council of Australia, and dozens of other organisations are already lobbying the leadership of the major parties, and that's where the policy-detail conversations happen.
What you can do is add real community power to those high-level delegations by ensuring that your MP is telling their boss that the community really does care about a fair process and a permanent home for people seeking asylum, and an end to indefinite detention.
We'll be there to help you every step of the way.
We have heaps of resources we'll send you, we can talk by phone or face to face, and we'll be running additional training workshops to give you the confidence to speak powerfully and personally about why this matters to you, and what you want your MP to do about it.
Here's how it will work:
- People just like you step up to commit to either organise or join a community delegation to meet your MP and ask them to support safety, fairness and freedom for people seeking asylum - fill in the form to register your interest in organising a group and we'll get in touch;
- #RightTrack partner organisations will support you to pull together a delegation of local constituents ready to meet your MP;
- Delegation leaders arrange the meeting with their local MP, and also organise a planning meeting where everyone in their small group can get to know each other, talk about who will say what, get clear on the 'asks' on the MP, and so on. We'll send heaps of resources to support this step, and our organisers can even attend your planning meeting if you need us
- You meet your MP, and ask them to commit to your asks.
- Get a photo of yourselves with your MP, and post it on social media with a quick report about how it went!
- We'll also follow up with the delegation leaders, but every participant is super-welcome to get in touch with your personal feedback too.